Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Rosemary and Honey Apple Pie


 This is obviously one of the best times of year to indulge in pie. It's always the most common dessert served at my Thanksgiving. Which is awesome, because I love pie. Here's the thing though, I'm not a huge pumpkin pie person. I know it's blasphemy to say so, especially in November, but it's true. My favorite pie hands down is apple pie. I grew up eating my grandma's Dutch Apple Pie so of course it was the first pie recipe I shared here. I've made Dutch Apple Pie a lot and I'm still not sick of it, but while reading A Beautiful Mess a while back Emma shared her desire to begin a new Autumn Tradition of making a new type of Apple pie each season. I was really drawn to this idea and so I decided to try to do this myself. (I have yet to attempt either of her apple pie recipes, so that's two more autumn's worth of apple pie's in my pocket!) Anyway, I came across this pin and I made up my mind to do my very own Apple Pie with Honey and Rosemary.



 I used the same basic recipe of my Dutch Apple Pie recipe, but with a few alterations. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

I used a frozen pie crust for the bottom crust and a refrigerated top crust.

For the filling:
2 Extra Large honeycrisp apples, peel if you like. sliced thinly (I strongly recommend using honeycrisp specifically for this recipe!)
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar, packed
3 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
 3 Sprigs of Rosemary, Remove from stems and chop finely

Combine all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, make sure apples are coated evenly.
Put filling fixture into your pie crust (I like to arrange the slices neatly so the crust sits as flat as possible). 
After allowing top crust to thaw for easy handling, roll it out onto the top of your pie.
Trim away excess dough with a knife. (you can use the scraps to make a pretty crust if you like). I sealed the crust by using a fork around the edges.

 After sealing the pie I cut slits into the center of the pie to allow steam to escape.
Next step is to refridgerate the entire pie (we left ours in for three hours), to allow the frozen pie crust to thaw so that both cook evenly.

Bake pie for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before serving.

We were really happy with how this Honey and Rosemary Apple Pie came out, although I think I should have let the crust brown a little bit more. The rosemary is very subtle and pairs so well with the sweetness from the honeycrisp apples. We may have a new favorite apple pie!
Do you know any fun alternative apple pie recipes?
-Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment