Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dutch Apple Pie


My grandma makes my favorite dutch apple pie. It's kind of the best apple pie you've ever had. Dutch apple pie is different from regular apple pie because instead of a pie crust over the apples there is a delicious sugary crumble that bakes into the apples... mmm... That was always my favorite part growing up. Now for some reason I haven't gotten my grandma's recipe, but the other day Anthony and I stumbled upon one that seemed pretty similar to my grandma's recipe.  With store bought pie crusts in hand I decided to try to make my first apple pie. I went with a frozen pie crust because I've always heard that making it yourself can be a nightmare, so I'll save that experience for a different day. I still plan on getting my grandma's recipe, but until then this will definitely be my go to for dutch apple pie. The original recipe I followed can be found at Recipe By Photos.



For the Filling:
5 1/2 peeled and sliced apples (we forgot to peel ours, the pie was still delicious but I think I would probably peel them the next time I make it.)(Also We used two large granny smith apples for this pie)
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
1/2 cup of Sugar
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar (packed)
3 Tablespoons of Flour
1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
we omitted the nutmeg (because we didn't have any) and just added some extra cinnamon


Topping:
3/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
1/3 cup butter or margarine (apprx. 5 Tablespoons)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
In a large mixing bowl combine the sliced apples, lemon juice, both sugars, flours and cinnamon.
Put this mixture into the pie crust.
 To make the topping, get a medium sized mixing bowl combine both sugars, the flour and butter with a fork until the mixture is a coarse crumble.
Cover your pie filling the the crumble topping.
place the pie (if you're using store bought pie crust) on a baking sheet.





Bake for fifty minutes
Let pie cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.

This pie was a pretty big hit, so I will definitely be making it more often. This pie experience has me thinking about other pies I want to make. Doesn't this one look delicious?
-Reagan


edit* apples are also in season right now! check out my summer eating post to see what other fruits and veggies are in season during these summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment