Thursday, July 25, 2013

Raspberry and Blackberry Buttermilk Pie


In my last recipe post I shared a recipe for dutch apple pie and explained that my love of pie stemmed from a childhood in which I was spoiled with pie by my grandma. Her dutch apple pie was always my favorite, My brother liked her lemon meringue pie, and my sister's favorite always was buttermilk pie. I knew when I stumbled upon this pin while browsing pinterest that I had to try to make this pie. 
The original recipe I used can be found here, but as usual I modified it slightly.


 Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees F.

This recipe will require one 9 inch frozen pie crust.

For the Raspberry-blackberry swirl you will need 1/4 cup of raspberries and 1/4 cup of black berries (frozen or fresh will work) and 3 tablespoons of white sugar. Combine the ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium low heat. Stir mixture and crush berries until the mixture is somewhat smooth. Set mixture aside.


For the buttermilk portion of the recipe you will need
3/4 cup of white sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 Large eggs
3/4 cup of buttermilk

In a large mixing bowl add the sugar, flour and lemon zest, and combine. Add eggs to the mixture one by one while stirring continuously (if using an electric hand mixer set it to low setting). After eggs have been added pour buttermilk into filling and stir until mixture is smooth. Pour buttermilk mixture into the pie crust.  Add raspberry-blackberry filling to the pie by spooning dollops evenly in the buttermilk filling. Use a knife and or skewer to marble the raspberry-blackberry filling. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until mixture is done via a fork text. 


 This pie is pretty darn good. It's not like the buttermilk pie my grandma used to make, but it's a new favorite. The lemon zest and blackberries just make it taste to summery and it reminded me almost of black berry cobbler. Anthony said it tasted like black berry lemon meringue pie to him. We both agreed it would be perfect for the holiday season as well. The truth test will be when my sister gets to try it. ;)
-Reagan




No comments:

Post a Comment