Monday, July 22, 2013

hair growth tips and tricks

Truth be told I've thought about doing a post like this for awhile because I'm always interested in hair care and am in a perpetual state of trying to grow out my hair. I think most women (and some men as well) have known the tortures of getting a bad haircut and having to undergo the slow painstaking process of having to wait for hair to grow. If you search online you will no doubt find hundreds of different tricks or products that promise quick hair growth. I've tried a lot of different products on my hair and I've settled on a routine that I believe not only makes my hair grow faster, it also makes it shiny, soft and ultimately much healthier.  Being someone who has done some major color damage to my hair, it needs all the help it can get. I want to share the products and routine that I practice myself to help you to optimize hair growth and treat frizz and dryness for your own hair as well. (I should also mention that my hair is pretty thick and slightly wavy. I also deal with split-ends and dryness associated with color damage, so this routine is best for people with hair similar to mine.) 

The first thing I can recommend to anyone hoping to grow out their hair is to eat a healthy diet first and foremost. Your body operates best when you fuel it well. Hair growth is no different. To boost hair growth from the inside out I take Biotin daily. I've also heard of Fish Oil also promoting hair growth. I definitely noticed a difference after I  began taking biotin regularly. As someone who dyes their hair it's easy to gauge how quickly my hair grows by my roots, but I also noticed a difference in the hair growth on my eyebrows!


The next recommendation I have to increase hair growth is to switch to a low-sulfate or no-sulfate shampoo and conditioner. I've already mentioned it here before but my current favorite is Organix Awaphui Ginger line (which is also repairing for damaged hair). This product is perfect for damaged hair like mine. I love the scent and it leaves my hair so so soft and shiny. I'm in love.



To protect hair further from breakage rinse hair with as cold of water as you can stand.
Once out of the shower use a towel (or old t-shirt to fight frizz) to remove excess moisture from hair. When hair is damp I like to use a nickle size portion of Chi's Silk Infusion beginning with the ends of hair and working the product up, but avoid the roots because it may make them appear greasy.


Once I put the silk infusion in my hair I like to let it dry naturally and avoid messing with it until it has dried completely. The easiest way I have found to achieve this is to wash my hair before bed and sleep with wet with a towel on my pillow.

Other important factors that can affect hair growth is the amount of damage you inflict on it through styling. Some damage is treatable through deep conditioning treatments but there are some things that one trying to grow out their hair should simply avoid (Based on my own experience).

 The first of those things (and probably the most important) is never bleach your own hair when trying to grow it out. If you decide you want to lighten your hair during your hair growth process my advice is to go to a professional to minimize the chance of damage ends and promoting breakage. Same goes with at home hair color. If you're trying to grow out your hair consider going natural for a while or dying hair less frequently.

The next styling tip to promote hair growth through preventing breakage is to minimize your use of heat styling tools on your hair. If you can't live without your blow dryer, straightener, or curler then you need to invest in a heat protecting spray to use prior to any heat styling.  I've been using Tresemme's Thermal Creations Tamer Spray and have been satisfied with the results for the price.

Another thing to consider when growing out your hair is to skip shampooing on some days and invest in a good dry shampoo. Shampooing your hair frequently can dry it out and using a dry shampoo on days you skip washing it can help fight back any greasiness you make experience on those off days and they smell good :) I've been using Tresemme's Fresh Start Dry Shampoo but have also heard great things about Batiste Dry Shampoos and am interested in trying them soon.


My final tip I have for anyone trying to grow out their hair is to do a deep conditioning treatment once or twice a month. Again I like the Organix line's Awaphui Ginger's Recovery Mask.
The longer you leave a conditioning treatment in the better. If you have a shower cap you can keep the conditioning treatment in for hours. This will help to hydrate hair a prevent breakage.


To grow out your hair you have to take care of both your body to make sure your hair is growing at it's full potential, treat any damage you already have through conditioning, and protect hair from further damage.
Growing out your hair is never a fun process thanks to all those awkward stages but through good hair care you can make the process quicker and easier on yourself.
Hopefully my long winded rant about hair care is at least somewhat helpful to anyone hoping to make hair growth a more simple process. I am by no means an expert on the subject and must admit much of what I have learned about taking care of my hair I've learned through trial and error or through the wonderful pinterest, primarily from Maskcara who has a million wonderful hair secrets.
I'd love to hear about any suggestions or question you may have about hair growth.

1-2-15 Edit: This post original contained borrowed images that have been removed. Follow links for a better idea of what products are mentioned.
-Reagan


No comments:

Post a Comment