Thursday, June 20, 2013

Simple Shrimp Scampi



When the weather warms up I find myself looking for dinner options that are lighter and still filling. For dinner the other night I was scanning pinterest for dinner inspiration when I found a Red Pepper Shrimp Scampi Recipe by A Beautiful Mess. I decided to make my very own shrimp scampi for dinner. I have never previously cooked shrimp so I opted for the frozen variety ;)

1/4 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup butter 
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 oz Frozen mini (salad) shrimp
1/2 cup white wine (I used a Moscato)
6-8oz pasta (I used thin veggie spaghetti)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you'd like it)
1/2 chopped Italian parsley
1 lemon
Shredded Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste 

Begin by starting to cook your pasta according to package instructions. While you wait for your water to come to a boil, get a large sauce pan or skillet and add your olive oil and onions over medium heat and thaw your shrimp. Once the onion is soft add in the thawed shrimp, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, lemon juice and white wine. Let the wine reduce, and then add in your cooked pasta and parsley. (Do not let Shrimp cook too long because it will get super chewy.) Top with Parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
This recipe is a basic recipe and can be personalized with add ins like broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes or feta cheese.  Another reason the recipe is such a favorite right now is because it's light but also really filling. I see the recipe working into our regular dinner rotation this summer and can't wait to try it again with some other tasty add ins! -Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment