Friday, May 2, 2014

Trying My Hand At Abstract Art


I have been so interested in painting my own abstract art for a long time now. I honestly don't know anything about abstract art. I usually just admire it from a far and wonder how it's possible for people to create such awe inspiring pieces of artwork. I must credit two ladies with being my inspiration when it comes to abstract art, those two are Elise Blaha Cripe and the insanely talented Elizabeth Chapman. These two are creative powerhouses that never fail to inspire me.
I should admit,  I have attempted to create an abstract piece for my home SEVERAL times before now. I can tell you from experience that abstract art is a lot more difficult than it appears to be. This is the only time I've been remotely pleased with the results of one of my abstract painting sessions. That is one thing I have come to learn about the process of painting in this way: You can not go in with a plan. You just have to start and just add in layers until you are satisfied with the outcome. I also decided to keep my color palette pretty simple with bright, cheery colors, and I kept turning my canvas as I went to try to see things from a new perspective after I let each layer dry. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that, but that was a small part of my process.

Have you ever tried your hand at an abstract painting? I'd love to see!
-Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment