Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pistachio Pudding Cake

First of all, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Okay, now onto the cake!
 I've been wanting to try to make a cake with pudding in the mix because I've always heard that it results in really moist and delicious cake. Plus with all the different kinds of pudding flavors and cake flavors the combinations I could create is intriguing. I debated on trying cookies and cream because I thought the colors would just be perfect for Halloween. Then I remembered my Cranberry and White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies and decided Pistachio pudding was the way to go.

 I did a little digging online and found This recipe on the kraft website and went from there.
I had everything accept for almond extract and powdered sugar. I subbed in vanilla extract and omitted the sugar. 

Pistachio Pudding Cake:
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 package of pistachio instant pudding (4 oz)
4 large eggs
1 and 1/4 cups of water
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
7 drops of green food coloring

The instructions are incredibly easy. Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and then pour into a greased bundt or tube pan. 

The original instructions said to cook for 50 minutes but I found this to be a bit too long. I recommend doing it 30 - 40 minutes. Check the cake by using the fork test, if it comes out clean you're good to go.

If you have the powdered sugar you would dust the cake with it after it has cooled off for about ten minutes.  You could also drizzle the cake with icing and sprinkle with pistachios. There are several different ways you could finish off this cake. We ate it without any icing or sugar and it was still delicious.

It was almost like a pistachio muffin cake. SO GOOD!
I may be biased because pistachio ice cream was my dad's favorite so I grew up on the stuff, but I really was happy with how it came out. Like I said I probably wouldn't have baked it quite as long but it was still damn good ;)

The green color of the cake makes it great for Halloween, St. Patrick's Day or even Christmas!
I have a feeling I will be making this again around the Holidays so I my dad can try it.;)

Happy Halloween Everyone. I can't believe it's already the last Day of October!
Until Next Time,
-Reagan

(edit: if pistachio just isn't your thing go ahead and swap out the instant pudding for something else. Cheesecake pudding would make for one delicious cake!)

No comments:

Post a Comment